The steps below provide instructions for enabling screen mirroring on mobile devices using hardware components. While there are other software-based options that are free or low cost, those options can prove unreliable when using Cisco dCloud content that includes device onboarding or other device behaviors that may temporarily disrupt the network connection. Additionally, software-based options may require your laptop to be connected to the same WLAN as the mobile device, preventing you from using the laptop to show backend components, such as the WLC or ISE. In addition, mobile device updates often cause software-based solutions to stop working.
If you wish to try a software-based solution, please see the Android and iOS Device Screen Sharing help guide on Cisco dCloud.
The hardware setup outlined in this document is reliable and recommended for users who regularly use Cisco dCloud content where sharing the iPad screen is essential. The hardware solution has these benefits:
- Impervious to software updates
- Allows you to use your laptop to show both the mobile device screen as well as any backend components in the session
- Ideal for remote session over WebEx
Apple iOS Devices
Most dCloud content support the use of an Apple iOS device. To mirror the screen of an Apple iOS device, you will need the following hardware components:
- Apple iOS device
- StarTech KVM Console to USB 2.0 Portable Laptop Crash Cart Adapter
o Model: NOTECONS01
- Apple device to VGA Adapter (Apple 30-pin or Lightning)
- USB A to Mini B cable
- USB 2.0 enabled computer
The steps below were tested on an iPad with Lightning connector running iOS 7.
- Assemble all hardware components.
- Download and install the Startech drivers and software from the Startech website. Enter “NOTECONS01” in the search box.
- Select the Drivers and Downloads tab.
- Download the latest drivers and USB Crash Cart Adapter utility for your OS. A single .zip file contains the drivers and Crash Cart application for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Open the file, browse to your OS, and install your software. Follow the instructions during the install process.
- After installation is complete, connect the Startech to your laptop or PC using the USB A to mini B cable.
- Connect the Startech VGA cable to the Apple VGA adapter.
- Connect the iOS device to the Apple VGA adapter.
- Start the USB Crash Cart Adapter software.
- Tap the device screen to start screen mirroring. The device screen will appear within the Crash Cart application.
The screen of your iOS device will display on the computer; however, you will not be able to control the device from your computer. All actions must be carried out on the iOS device itself.