You must have one or a combination of these cables to complete this task:
- Serial DB-9/Ethernet RJ-45 console cable
- USB to serial DB-9 adapter only if your laptop does not have a serial port
- RJ-45 console cable to USB if your laptop does not have a serial port
- USB-C to RJ-45 console cable for newer laptops such as MacBook Pros and ThinkPads
To connect your laptop to the console port on your router:
- Plug the serial DB-9 end of the console cable into the serial DB-9 port on your laptop. If your laptop has no serial DB-9 port, plug the serial DB-9 end of the console cable into the serial DB-9 end of a USB to serial DB-9 adapter and then into a USB port on your laptop.
If you use a USB to serial DB-9 adapter, install the adapter driver on your laptop according to the adapter documentation.
- Plug the Ethernet RJ-45 end of the console cable into the console port on the router. The console port is usually labeled CONSOLE or CON/AUX on Cisco routers supported for dCloud use.
Figure 1. Example Console Port Labeled CON / AUX (Cisco 819 Series Router)
Figure 2. Example Console Port Labeled CONSOLE (Cisco 1811W Router)
If you need help locating the console port on your router, refer to the router documentation.
If you are using the ATEN USB Serial Adapter with Mac OS X Lion, there are known issues with getting the adapter to work correctly. Contact Cisco dCloud Support for assistance.