This document includes steps to recover your 819W router and/or AP. If your issues are AP-only, you can skip the router recovery steps.
- Create a temporary folder on your desktop to store the downloaded files used in the following steps.
- Open a browser on your computer and go to www.cisco.com. Login with your CCO credentials
- Download the recommended IOS for the Cisco 819 Hardened 3G with Dual Radio 802.11n WiFi Integrated Services Router. Save the file to your temporary desktop folder.
- Download the recommended IOS for the embedded AP. Save the file to your temporary desktop folder.
Download the Unified Mode IOS for Unified Access and Enterprise Branch demonstrations. Download the Autonomous Mode IOS for Collaboration demonstrations.
- Connect PC to the console port of the router.
- Connect the flat, blue rolled cable (included in the box) to the port on the router labeled CONSOLE.
- Connect the other end of the rolled cable to one of the COM ports of your computer.
- Connect PC to a LAN port on the router.
- Connect a straight through Ethernet cable to port FE 0 on the router.
- Connect the other end to the wired Ethernet port on the PC.
- Configure PC (Local Area Connection) as follows
o IP address: 10.0.0.2
o Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Disable the wireless LAN adapter of the PC.
- Launch and configure TFTP server:
- Current Directory: Browse to temporary desktop folder.
- Server interfaces: Select 10.0.0.2 from the dropdown.
Figure 1. TFTP Server Settings
- Launch and Configure Tera Term:
- From the New Connection window, select Serial and then select the Port on your PC that is connected to the router.
Figure 2. Serial Port Selection
- Click OK.
- Press the Enter key and verify that the router responds.
Recover Router in ROMmon
- Power on your router. From the Tera Term window you will see that the router is booted into ROMmon mode as indicated by the router prompt: rommon 1 >.
- Enter the following commands to transfer the necessary router IOS via TFTP:
rommon 1 > IP_ADDRESS=10.0.0.3
rommon 3 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
rommon 4 > TFTP_SERVER=10.0.0.2
- When prompted if you wish to continue, enter y.
Invoke this command for disaster recovery only.
WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost!
Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]: y
- Wait for process complete.
rommon 8> boot
- Router should boot up using the IOS.
Transfer Files to the Router
- Create router interface connection for file transfer from PC to router flash.
Router# conf t
Router(config)# int vlan 1
Router(config)# ip add 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
Router(config)# no shut
- Transfer router configuration to router flash.
Router# copy tftp: flash:
Address or name of remote host ? 10.0.0.2
Source filename ? name of your router config .txt file
Destination filename [name of your router config .txt file]? <Enter>
- Transfer the AP IOS to router flash.
Router# copy tftp: flash:
Address or name of remote host [10.0.0.2]? <Enter>
Source filename ? ap802-k9w8-tar.152-2.JA.tar
Destination filename [ap802-k9w8-tar.152-2.JA.tar]? <Enter>
The name of the AP IOS file will be the file you downloaded in an earlier step. (ap802-k9w8-tar.152-2.JA.tar).
- Copy the config files to startup-config.
Router# copy flash:name-of-router-config.txt startup-config
Replace the name-of-router-config.txt value with the actual name of your router config file. If you are unsure, type copy flash:? to see the list of files currently stored in flash.
Recover AP from ROMmon Mode
- From router, initiate the follow command to format AP flash
Router# format flash:1:
- Copy AP IOS to AP flash.
Router# archive tar /xtract tftp://TFTPhostIP/ap802-k9w8-tar.152-2.JA.tar flash:1:
- Console to AP.
Router# service-module wlan-ap 0 reset
- Wait for the AP to reboot.
- Session to the AP to confirm unified mode.
Router# service-module wlan-ap 0 session
Trying 10.66.101.113, 2002 ... Open
Connecting to AP console, enter Ctrl-^ followed by x,
then "disconnect" to return to router prompt <Enter>
AP8478.acaf.cb52#show capwap client config
Configure Router for Cisco dCloud
Your router can now be configured for Cisco dCloud using any of the options available. [Show Me How]
- Endpoint Wizard
- Copy via HTTP
- Copy via Console
If you have already registered your router, you DO NOT need to register it again. Download the configs or Router Setup Wizard for registered routers from My Dashboard > My Endpoint Routers.
Upgrade AP to 7.4 Code
- Schedule any Enterprise Networking or Security Cisco dCloud demo. (Unified Access v2.1 recommended.)
- Power off the router, then power back on when the demo session is Active.
- Wait for wireless to connect to new WLC and upgrade to 7.4 AP code. This could take a while (up to 30 minutes).
- Once the AP upgrade is complete, reboot the AP.
- Issue the show capwap client config command from the AP and verify the swVer is 7.4.115.